Patient Blood Management Certification
Certification Through The Joint Commission and Association for the Advancement of Blood & Biotherapies
Receiving The Gold Seal of Approval® from The Joint Commission means you’ve met or exceeded the most comprehensive evaluation process in the health care industry. Widely recognized as a symbol of quality, The Joint Commission has accredited and certified nearly 21,000 health care institutions in the United States. We hold our standards as dearly as you hold yours. That’s why we partner with the Association for the Advancement of Blood & Biotherapies, the global leader in standards development, accreditation, and implementation of quality systems in transfusion medicine and cellular therapies. Positive results from organizations which have achieved Patient Blood Management Certification include:
- Reduction in blood usage and waste
- Reduced transfusions during surgeries such as total knee and total hip replacements
- Ability to collect transfusion data for hospitalized patients and educate care team about leading practices
- Improving patient outcomes
- Shift to a more patient-centric approach
- More focus on continuous quality improvement
- Roles, processes and procedures are better defined
To be eligible to be certified for Patient Blood Management, your hospital or critical access hospital must be accredited by The Joint Commission.
What Our Customers Have to Say
A key component of our customer’s positive certification experience relies on our consistent review process and focus on achieving best practices through education.
Read about MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's experience.
Review of Our Standards with Your Team
For Patient Blood Management Certification, your team will be evaluated in:
- Supplier and customer issues
- Process control
- Documents and records
- Deviations, non-conformances, and adverse events
- Assessments: internal and external
- Process improvement through corrective and preventive action
- Facilities and safety
A free trial edition of the standards is available to help your team determine how ready your organization is before applying for certification.
Walk Through the Process
The Patient Blood Management Certification Review Process Guide will help you prepare for the on-site certification review. Download the Review Process Guide below to learn more.
You might find it helpful to learn how a team at another organization made their decision to become certified, how they prepared and how they have benefited from certification. Walk through the process with someone who’s been there.
Request Your Application
When you have assembled your team, assessed your readiness and reviewed the standards, you’re ready to schedule your on-site review. Use the link below to request an application and to request any assistance you might need with the process from your business development manager. Remember to submit your application four to six months before your desired review date.
- Cardiac Certification
- Orthopedic Certification
- Stroke Certification
- Health Care Equity
- Responsible Use of Health Data
- Sustainable Healthcare
- Disease-Specific Care
- Medication Compounding
- Perinatal Care
- Palliative Care
- Patient Blood Management
- Primary Care Medical Home
- Pathways and Structures Helping Leaders Advance Quality
- Payer Recognitions