to main content Report a Patient Safety Concern or File a Complaint | The Joint Commission

Report a Patient Safety Concern or File a Complaint

Do you have a patient safety concern/complaint about a health care organization?

How do you file a concern/complaint?

The preferred method for submitting a concern is through our online submission form as it allows for more direct, timely receipt and review of your concerns.

***The Joint Commission is not a health care provider. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911.

If you are having thoughts of harming yourself or experiencing a mental health crisis, please call 988, The Suicide and Crisis Lifeline.

By policy, The Joint Commission cannot accept copies of medical records, photos or billing invoices and other related personal information. These documents will be shredded upon receipt.

Download the form for reporting a patient safety concern by mail

What information do you need to include?

Learn more about how to report a patient safety concern

What can you do about concerns that The Joint Commission cannot help with?

  • You may want to talk to the organization about your concern.

  • Your state’s department of health may be able to help.