Sentinel Event Alert and Quick Safety newsletters
Sentinel Event Alert and Quick Safety articles developed by the Joint Commission covering the topic of workplace violence prevention.
Quick Safety 47: De-escalation in Health Care
This Quick Safety presents de-escalation models and interventions for managing aggressive and agitated patients in the ED and inpatient settings. There are many different de-escalation techniques; this issue is intended to guide health care professionals to resources for more information and training.
Sentinel Event Alert 59: Physical and Verbal Violence Against Health Care Workers
The focus of this alert is to help your organization recognize and acknowledge workplace violence directed against healthcare workers from patients and visitors, better prepare staff to handle violence, and more effectively address the aftermath.
Sentinel Event Alert 57: The essential role of leadership in developing a safety culture
March 1, 2017
This Sentinel Event Alert discusses how leadership plays a key role in contributing to a safety and organizational culture.
Quick Safety 24: Bullying has no place in health care
Civility is a system value that improves safety in healthcare settings. The link between civility, workplace safety and patient care is not a new concept. The 2004 Institute of Medicine report, “Keeping Patients Safe: Transforming the Work Environment of Nurses,” emphasizes the importance of the work environment in which nurses provide care.
Quick Safety 5: Preventing violent and criminal events
August 28, 2014
This issue discusses prevention strategies for violent criminal events in healthcare facilities. Safety actions to consider include: identifying risks and planning to reduce those risks, planning environmental design and administrative controls, training, implementing safety culture, and planning for post-event activities.
Quick Safety 4: Preparing for active shooter situations
This issue discusses how healthcare facilities can prepare for active shooter situations. Safety actions suggested include: involving local law enforcement, developing a communication plan, establishing processes and procedures to ensure patient and employee safety, training and drilling employees, and planning for post-event activities.
Sentinel Event Alert 45: Preventing violence in the health care setting
June 3, 2010
Once considered safe havens, healthcare institutions today are confronting steadily increasing rates of crime, including violent crimes such as assault, rape and homicide. This Sentinel Event Alert discusses a range of topics which include: identifying high risk areas, perpetrators of violence to patients, prevention strategies, existing Joint Commission requirements, and Joint Commission suggested actions.
Sentinel Event Alert 40: Behaviors that undermine a culture of safety
Behaviors that undermine a culture of safety are a problem in health care. While the term “unprofessional behavior” is preferred instead of “disruptive behavior,” the suggested actions in this Alert remain relevant.
Workplace Violence Prevention
- Joint Commission Blog Posts
- Joint Commission Podcasts
- Joint Commission Presentations
- Joint Commission Research Resources
- Joint Commission Resources Newsletters
- Joint Commission Resources and OSHA Alliance
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- American Hospital Association
- American Nurses Association
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association
- American Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
- CDC/National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health
- Crisis Prevention Institute
- Compendium of Resources
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
- ECRI Institute
- Emergency Nurses Association
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- From the Field
- Government Accountability Office
- DHS/Healthcare and Public Health Sector Coordinating Council
- iAdvance Senior Care
- Implementing Strategies for Safer Healthcare Organizations Webinar
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- International Association for Healthcare Security and Safety
- Massachusetts Department of Mental Health
- Minnesota Department of Health
- National Safety Council
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response
- Ontario Safety Association for Community and Healthcare
- Oregon Association of Hospitals & Health Systems
- Sentinel Event Alert and Quick Safety newsletters
- Standards Related Information
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Washington State Department of Labor & Industries
- Willis Towers Watson