From the Field
Winning Practices in Workplace Violence Prevention
Webinar of Three Different Prevention Programs
The Joint Commission hosted an educational webinar to share examples of effective Workplace Violence programs from three organizations. This 2-hour video describes initiatives from Johns Hopkins Medicine, The University of Pennsylvania Health System, and St. Luke's Health System in Idaho.
Piedmont Athens Regional
Presentation at the Association of Occupational Health Professionals in Healthcare (AOHP) Conference
The objectives of this presentation are the following:
- Identify the key OSHA definitions and recommendations associated with workplace violence prevention, and understand the reality of violence in health care.
- Identify the core components of a comprehensive workplace violence program.
- Demonstrate proactive workplace violence prevention tools.
- Define future work and program development opportunities.
Jacobi Medical Center
This presentation describes a multidisciplinary approach to addressing hospital violence.
Western Connecticut Health Network
Western Connecticut Health Network is comprised of three hospitals, Danbury, Norwalk and New Milford, Western Connecticut Medical Group, and Western Connecticut Home Care.Examples of policies related to workplace violence:
Loma Linda University Health
Loma Linda University Health received several of the victims from the San Bernardino mass shooting on December 2, 2015. This presentation discusses how the health system responded to the event and lessons learned as a result.
Used with permission.
Workplace Violence Prevention
- Joint Commission Blog Posts
- Joint Commission Podcasts
- Joint Commission Presentations
- Joint Commission Research Resources
- Joint Commission Resources Newsletters
- Joint Commission Resources and OSHA Alliance
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- American Hospital Association
- American Nurses Association
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association
- American Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
- CDC/National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health
- Crisis Prevention Institute
- Compendium of Resources
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
- ECRI Institute
- Emergency Nurses Association
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- From the Field
- Government Accountability Office
- DHS/Healthcare and Public Health Sector Coordinating Council
- iAdvance Senior Care
- Implementing Strategies for Safer Healthcare Organizations Webinar
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- International Association for Healthcare Security and Safety
- Massachusetts Department of Mental Health
- Minnesota Department of Health
- National Safety Council
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response
- Ontario Safety Association for Community and Healthcare
- Oregon Association of Hospitals & Health Systems
- Sentinel Event Alert and Quick Safety newsletters
- Standards Related Information
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Washington State Department of Labor & Industries
- Willis Towers Watson