Stroke Certification Fact Sheet
- The Joint Commission offers four advanced levels of stroke certification for accredited hospitals.
- Program requirements were developed in collaboration with the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association (AHA/ASA).
The Joint Commission’s four stroke certification programs are:
- Acute Stroke Ready Hospital (ASRH)
- Primary Stroke Center (PSC)
- Thrombectomy-Capable Stroke Center (TSC)
- Comprehensive Stroke Center (CSC)
Applicants for advanced certification must meet the requirements for Disease-Specific Care Certification plus additional, clinically specific requirements and expectations. Each stroke program has different requirements for diagnostic testing capability, neurosurgical services and clinical performance measures.
A comparison grid provides specific requirements for each program.
Note: See the Disease-Specific Care standards manual for further explanation on the requirements in the grid and additional requirements for each of the programs.