to main content Report a Patient Safety Concern or File a Complaint | The Joint Commission

Report a Patient Safety Concern or File a Complaint

Do you have a patient safety concern/complaint about a health care organization?

How do you file a concern/complaint?

The preferred method for submitting a concern is through our online submission form as it allows for more direct, timely receipt and review of your concerns.

***The Joint Commission is not a health care provider. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911.

If you are having thoughts of harming yourself or experiencing a mental health crisis, please call 988, The Suicide and Crisis Lifeline.


***The Joint Commission does not accept walk-ins or complaints filed in-person.***

By policy, The Joint Commission cannot accept copies of medical records, photos or billing invoices and other related personal information. These documents will be shredded upon receipt.

Download the form for reporting a patient safety concern by mail

What information do you need to include?

Learn more about how to report a patient safety concern

What can you do about concerns that The Joint Commission cannot help with?

  • You may want to talk to the organization about your concern.

  • Your state’s department of health may be able to help.