In March 2002, The Joint Commission launched its Speak Up™ patient safety program. Over time, the program has expanded to more than 40 countries and features infographics, animated videos, brochures and posters. The program urges patients to:
Speak up if you have questions or concerns.
Pay attention to the care you get.
Educate yourself about your illness.
Ask a trusted family member or friend to be your advocate (advisor or supporter).
Know what medicines you take and why you take them.
Use a health care organization that has been carefully checked out.
Participate in all decisions about your treatment.
The success of Speak Up
Speak Up information is used for public service announcements, websites, community newsletters, health fairs, closed circuit patient education television, and staff education. The popular animated videos have been downloaded by organizations in more than 70 countries. In a survey conducted in 2015:
- 83 percent say Speak Up empowers and educates patients and makes them a partner in their care
- 83 percent believe Speak Up is easy to use and understand
- 83 percent believe Speak Up brings value to health care organizations
- 83 percent say Speak Up is from The Joint Commission, an authoritative source
- 69 percent would recommend the program to a colleague, friend, family member or patient
Reproducing or translating Speak Up materials
- There are NO copyright or reprinting permissions required for Speak Up materials or copy.
- Speak Up copy can be integrated into other materials, such as admission packets and newsletters.
- Organizations can add their logo or address to the Speak Up infographics or brochures.
- All Speak Up infographics, brochures and videos are available in English and Spanish, and can be translated into other languages. Artwork files of infographics and brochures and unvoiced files of the animated videos are available; see the links below.
Note: If you reproduce or translate Speak Up materials, please:
- Use The Joint Commission logo in the same format
- Credit The Joint Commission (Ex: Reproduced with permission of The Joint Commission)
Email us for more information.