Joint Commission Standards
Joint Commission standards help you develop strategies to address the most complex issues and identify key vulnerabilities in the patient care experience. The standards review various aspects of your care delivery process, ensuring a comprehensive review of the patient care experience.
The accreditation and certification standards manuals are available in print and electronic formats and can be purchased from Joint Commission Resources®.
National Patient Safety Goals
Contribute to our knowledge base
The Joint Commission regularly updates its requirements for accreditation. As part of that process, we seek input from health care professionals and others with knowledge in a variety of settings. You can help by reading and commenting on proposed requirements related to your practice area.
Prepublication standards are used to communicate upcoming changes to our standards and Elements of Performance (EPs). The reports are posted before being published in E-dition and the comprehensive manuals.
For answers to frequently asked questions about standards, please visit the Standards Interpretation section.
Joint Commission Requirements is a free listing of all policy revisions to standards published in Joint Commission Perspectives that have gone into effect since the accreditation/certification manual was last issued.
- About Our Standards
- Standards Field Reviews
National Patient Safety Goals
- National Patient Safety Goals
- Ambulatory Health Care: 2023 National Patient Safety Goals
- Assisted Living Community: 2023 National Patient Safety Goals
- Behavioral Health Care and Human Services: 2023 National Patient Safety Goals
- Critical Access Hospital: 2023 National Patient Safety Goals
- Home Care: 2023 National Patient Safety Goals
- Hospital: 2023 National Patient Safety Goals
- Laboratory Services: 2023 National Patient Safety Goals
- Nursing Care Center: 2023 National Patient Safety Goals
- Office-Based Surgery: 2023 National Patient Safety Goals
- Prepublication Standards
- Revisions Related to CMS Final Rules
- The Term Licensed Independent Practitioner Eliminated for AHC and OBS
- New Requirements for Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics
- Revision to MS.06.01.05, EP 7
- The Term Licensed Independent Practitioner Eliminated
- Updates to the Patient Blood Management Certification Program Requirements
- New Assisted Living Community Accreditation Memory Care Certification Option
- Revisions to PI.01.01.01, EP 4
- Health Care Equity Standard Elevated to National Patient Safety Goal
- New and Revised Emergency Management Standards
- New Health Care Equity Certification Program
- Updates to the Advanced Disease-Specific Care Certification for Inpatient Diabetes Care
- Updates to the Assisted Living Community Accreditation Requirements
- Updates to the Comprehensive Cardiac Center Certification Program
- R3 Report
- Standards FAQs
- Universal Protocol
- Patient Safety Systems PS Chapter