Contracted Services - Organization's Responsibilities
What are our responsibilities related to services provided by our contracted organization?
Leaders must oversee contracted services to make sure that they are provided safely and effectively. The only contractual agreements subject to the requirements at Standard LD.04.03.09 are those for the provision of care, treatment, and services provided to the hospital's (organization's) patients. This standard does not apply to contracted services that are not directly related to patient care, treatment, or services. The EPs do not prescribe the methods for evaluating contracted services; leaders are expected to select the best methods for their hospital (organization) to oversee the quality and safety of services provided through contractual agreement. Examples of sources of information that may be used for evaluating contracted services include the following:
- Review of information about the contractor's Joint Commission accreditation or certification status.
- Direct observation of the provision of care.
- Audit of documentation, including medical records.
- Review of incident reports.
- Review of periodic reports submitted by the individual or hospital providing services under contractual agreement.
- Collection of data that address the efficacy of the contracted service.
- Review of performance reports based on indicators required in the contractual agreement.
- Input from staff and patients.
- Review of patient satisfaction studies.
- Review of results of risk management activities
Last updated on February 06, 2018
Manual: Critical Access Hospital
Chapter: Leadership LD