The Joint Commission
- Founded in 1951.
- More than 22,000 health care organizations and programs in the United States are accredited or certified by The Joint Commission.
Mission: To continuously improve health care for the public, in collaboration with other stakeholders, by evaluating health care organizations and inspiring them to excel in providing safe and effective care of the highest quality and value.
Vision: All people always experience the safest, highest quality, best-value health care across all settings.
An independent, nonprofit organization, The Joint Commission is the nation's oldest and largest standards-setting and accrediting body in health care. To earn and maintain The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval®, an organization undergoes an on-site survey by a Joint Commission survey team at least every three years. (Laboratories are surveyed every two years.)
The Joint Commission is governed by a 21-member Board of Commissioners that includes physicians, administrators, nurses, employers, quality and innovation experts, and educators. The Joint Commission employs approximately 1,100 people in its field staff, at its central office in Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois, and at an office in Washington, D.C.
The Joint Commission accredits or certifies a variety of health care settings and services. For more information, visit jointcommission.org.
- Hospital: General, pediatric, psychiatric, rehabilitation, critical access hospitals
- Ambulatory health care: Clinics, dental and medical practices, dialysis centers, imaging centers, urgent care centers, office-based surgeries
- Behavioral health care and human services: Mental health services, addiction treatment services, and human services for children, youth and families
- Home care: Medical equipment, hospice services, pharmacy
- Laboratory services: Independent or freestanding clinical laboratories
- Nursing care center: Nursing homes, rehabilitation centers
- Ambulatory health care
- Behavioral health care
- Health care staffing services
- Home care
- Nursing care center