ORYX for Hospitals
(National Hospital Quality Measures)
- The Joint Commission’s ORYX® initiative integrates performance measurement data into the accreditation process.
- ORYX® measurement requirements support Joint Commission-accredited organizations in their quality improvement efforts.
- The Joint Commission continues to align measures as closely as possible with Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
2022 ORYX Reporting Requirements for Hospitals
The Joint Commission updated the 2022 ORYX® Performance Measure reporting requirements effective Jan. 1, 2022. These updates affect reporting requirements for Joint Commission-accredited critical access hospitals and hospitals. Key updates include:
- In 2022, hospitals will begin using the new Joint Commission Direct Data Submission Platform (DDSP) for submission of both electronic clinical quality measure (eCQM) and chart-abstracted data submission. The new Joint Commission DDSP will become available for data submission in the second half of 2022. A more specific timeline will be communicated when the platform launch date has been determined.
- Health Care Organizations (HCOs) that are required or elect to submit eCQMs are required to submit eCQM data for a minimum of three self-selected quarters, applicable to the services provided and patient populations served.
- If an HCO is required but is unable to submit eCQM data, the HCO must submit an extenuating circumstance request (ECR) form prior to the deadline.
- HCOs must submit a new ECR form for each year and in no case may an HCO be granted an exception for more than five consecutive years.
ORYX® chart-abstracted data are publicly reported on The Joint Commission’s Quality Check® website. At this time, eCQM data is not being publicly reported by The Joint Commission.
- Performance measurement webpage
- Questions on ORYX: