The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) have published its final National Coverage Decision (NCD) memorandum for VADs for Bridge-to-Transplant and Destination Therapy.
To align its requirements with the final NCD, The Joint Commission made the following modifications:
- Added a palliative care representative to the core interdisciplinary team
- Deleted the board certification requirement for the cardiologist
- Deleted the board certification requirement for the cardiovascular surgeon
- Clarified the volume requirements for surgeons in training
- Modified the requirements related to the use of a
- Nationally audited registry
Please note that the addition of the palliative care representative to the interdisciplinary team will not be required until October 30, 2014.
How long will the certification be valid?
The certification will be valid for two years. There will be a performance measurement requirement on the one year anniversary of the certification.