All too frequently, patients do not understand the risks, benefits and alternatives of their treatments even after signing a consent form. To improve the informed consent process, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) engaged The Joint Commission and Abt Associates to provide guidance through free online courses for hospital leadership and other health care professionals.
These online and enduring “start now, finish later” modules that aim to provide guidance to hospital leadership and healthcare providers to improve the Informed Consent process. Both modules include multiple work sheets and downloadable resources. Available FREE to our accredited organizations, both modules offer 2 CE Credits and include multiple work sheets and downloadable resources.
Making Informed Consent an Informed Choice: Training for Health Care Leaders
The Leaders Module goes through each topic that an informed consent policy should address and gives examples from a fictional hospital of what each part of the policy could look like.
- Learn the principles of informed consent,
- Learn strategies and system changes to nurture a hospital culture that supports a high-quality policy of informed consent, and
- Know how to launch an informed consent quality improvement initiative at your hospital.
- Hospital executives and department/unit leaders;
- Hospital Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Officers
- Risk managers
Making Informed Consent an Informed Choice: Training for Health Care Professionals
Explore communication and patient engagement strategies and tools designed to help improve the informed consent process.
Learn the principles of informed consent,
- Understand strategies for clear communication about choices during the informed consent process,
- Learn strategies for presenting choices (e.g., showing structured decision aids, encouraging questions), and
- Know how to appropriately document and confirm informed consent, and to work as part of a team.
- Other health care providers involved in the informed consent process*
- Administrative staff (e.g., registration, billing)
*LIP = Licensed Independent Practitioners; Nurses (including nurse educators) allied health professionals (e.g. medical assistants, technicians, therapists, qualified medical interpreters)
Please email email@example.com with any questions or log in and IT issues.
Each educational module is approved for 2.0 Continuing Education Credit from:
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME)
- American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)
- California Board of Registered Nursing
- American Dental Association CERP (ADA-CERP)
- International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET)
CE/CME/CEU is available for the completion of the modules.
In order to claim the credits you must:
1. Individually register for the module
2. Complete the module
3. Complete the post course evaluation
4. Score a passing grade on the post course exam