New and Revised Requirements Addressing Embryology, Molecular Testing, and Pathology
Effective January 1, 2021, new requirements addressing embryology, molecular testing, and pathology will be applicable to Joint Commission–accredited laboratories. These new requirements are part of a larger series of enhancements to the Laboratory accreditation program to reduce burden and ensure a quality patient experience.
The new and revised EPs include the following:
- Editorial revisions to clarify expectations.
- Consolidated requirements to streamline the accreditation manual.
- Updated embryology requirements that align with recommendations and guidelines from the American Society for Reproductive Medicine and the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology.
- Updated molecular testing requirements addressing validation studies, next-generation sequencing, and the clinical validity and clinical utility of molecular genetic tests.
- Updated pathology requirements focused on the time frame to transport surgical specimens, the analytical and clinical performance of immunohistochemical tests, and policies and procedures for Mohs surgery.
Prepublication Standards: Effective January 1, 2021