New workplace violence prevention requirements
Starting Jan. 1, 2022, new and revised workplace violence prevention requirements will be applicable to all Joint Commission-accredited hospitals and critical access hospitals.
The new and revised requirements provide a framework to guide hospitals and critical access hospitals in developing strong workplace violence prevention systems and address the following concepts:
- Defining workplace violence, including a formal definition located in the Glossary.
- Leadership oversight.
- Worksite analysis.
- Developing policies and procedures for the prevention of workplace violence.
- Reporting systems, data collection, and analysis.
- Post-incident strategies.
- Training and education to decrease workplace violence.
View the prepublication standards.
A R3 Report also was published explaining the rationale and research behind the new and revised requirements.