Patient and Family Advisory Council Fact Sheet
- A diverse group of nationally prominent individuals and organizations serve on the Joint Commission’s Patient and Family Advisory Council
- The Council is an integral part of The Joint Commission's advisory structure
Comprised of individuals with expertise in helping patients and their families understand the health care environment, the Council provides valuable input on how the products, services and activities of the Joint Commission enterprise can help health care organizations help the patients they serve. The Patient and Family Advisory Council:
- Counsels Joint Commission enterprise management on how the work of The Joint Commission, Joint Commission Resources, Joint Commission International, and the Center for Transforming Healthcare can support meaningful patient and family involvement in their care.
- Identifies and advises the Joint Commission on present and evolving health care issues of concern to patients and families.
- Shares feedback on how current Joint Commission activities are impacting the patient care experience.
- Provides input on how potential changes in standards, policies, products, and services will impact the care experience of patients and families served by Joint Commission-accredited and -certified organizations.
- Provides input and advice in the development of advisories (e.g., Speak Up campaigns, Sentinel Event Alerts, Quick Safety newsletters), informative materials, and communication strategies directed to consumers regarding their role in patient safety.
The Patient and Family Advisory Council includes individuals from organizations representing the interests of patients, families, and the public involved in improving the quality and safety of health care. Individuals employed by or volunteering at Joint Commission-accredited organizations who support their institution’s patient and/or family advisory program are also eligible to serve on the PFAC. Current members are listed below.
Patient and Family Advisory Council Members
- Mickie J. Aerne-Bowe, Kaiser Permanente, Patient Partner
- Patricia Anderson, East Carolina University
- Johnathon Bullock, Kaiser Permanente
- Margy Dayton, Trinity Health, Michigan Region
- Lisa Freeman, Connecticut Center for Patient Safety
- Jill Harrison, Brown University, School of Public Health
- Karin Jay, Planetree International
- Thais Thomas, Tidelands Health
- Paul McGourty, Holy Cross Hospital, Inc.
- Marian Grant, Coalition to Transform Advanced Care