Physician Leader Monthly June 2021
The application period is open for a new award program from The Joint Commission and Kaiser Permanente that recognizes health care organizations and their partners that led initiatives that achieved a measurable, sustained reduction in one or more health care disparities. Listen to the podcast with Ana McKee, MD, CMO and Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer. [7:08]
In other news…
- Infection control risks related to glucose monitoring, insulin administration
- Minor revisions made to Advanced COPD Certification program
Blogs for Docs
Working Together to Decrease Physician Task Load and Burnout: To help physicians learn how to manage their extraneous cognitive load, Elizabeth Harry, MD, discussed her study from The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety.
More blogs for docs …
- Hot Off the Press: Perceptions of Institutional Support for “Second Victims” Associated with Safety Culture and Workforce Well-Being
- Ventilator Sharing Acknowledged as Life-Saving Last Alternative by FDA
- Patient Safety Complaints Received During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Supporting Innovations in Health Care: Evaluation of the Veterans Heath Administration (VHA) Diffusion of Excellence Program
Journal: A new study in the June issue implemented a non-pharmacologic sleep hygiene bundle intervention to improve patients’ sleep.
JCR launches on-demand Digital Learning Center: This new on-demand, subscription-based virtual learning service integrates JCR’s popular digital content.
AMA Strategic Health Equity Plan: The American Medical Association recently released its first strategic plan dedicated to embedding racial justice and advancing health equity.
ISMP Medication Safety Self Assessment® for Perioperative Settings: This new tool offers hospitals, freestanding ambulatory surgery centers, and other facilities that perform outpatient medical or surgical procedures the opportunity to evaluate their medication use systems and compare.
More media …
- Survey visit tips and more from The Joint Commission | APIC's Prevention Strategist
- IPs Play Hidden Role in Antimicrobial Stewardship Programs | Infection Control Today
- This Way to the OR, Infection Preventionists | Infection Control Today
- Medicaid, other payers’ demands driving increase in nursing home Joint Commission accreditations | McKnight's Long Term Care News
- Joint Commission, NQF Announce Patient Safety, Quality Award Winners | Healthcare Innovation
Ana McKee, MD, CMO and Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer, spoke with the “Behind the Knife” podcast recently about The Joint Commission’s efforts to solve health care disparities and improve provider diversity. Dr. McKee discussed structural racism that exists in health care and how the COVID-19 pandemic brought many of these issues to light. [47:51]