The Joint Commission and JCR Announce 2013 Board Appointments
November 19, 2012
View the multi-media release
(OAKBROOK TERRACE, Ill. – November 19, 2012) The Joint Commission today announced the appointment of Rebecca Patchin, M.D., as 2013 chair of the Board of Commissioners. Craig Jones, FACHE, will serve as vice chair.
Dr. Patchin is a former nurse who is now an anesthesiologist and pain management specialist in Riverside, California. She has served on the Board since 2007 as a representative of the American Medical Association. Mr. Jones is president of the Oklahoma Hospital Association, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and has served on the Board since 2008, appointed by the American Hospital Association.
“We are pleased to have the expertise of Dr. Patchin and Mr. Jones to help guide The Joint Commission in its efforts to further inspire excellence in health care,” says Mark R. Chassin, M.D., FACP, M.P.P., M.P.H., president, The Joint Commission.
In addition to Dr. Patchin and Mr. Jones, the following officer appointments for 2013 have been announced:
- Treasurer — J.B. Silvers, Ph.D., is the John R. Mannix/Medical Mutual of Ohio Professor of Health Care Finance, professor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, professor of Banking and Finance at the Weatherhead School of Management, serves as the faculty director of the Health Systems Management Center, and holds a joint appointment in the School of Medicine — all at Case Western Reserve University, in Cleveland, Ohio. He has served on the Board since 2004 as a public representative.
- Secretary — LaMar S. McGinnis, M.D., FACS, is senior medical advisor and liaison to the American Cancer Society, in Atlanta. He has served on the Board since 2005, appointed by the American College of Surgeons.
- Executive Committee Member-at-Large — David Perrott, M.D., D.D.S., M.B.A., FACS, is senior vice president and chief medical officer of the California Hospital Association, in Sacramento, California, and practices medicine in Salinas, California. He has served on the Board since 2012, appointed by the American Dental Association.
- Executive Committee Member-at-Large — David Bronson, M.D, FACP, is president of the Cleveland Clinic Regional Hospitals and a professor of medicine at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, in Cleveland, Ohio. He has served on the Board since 2009 as a representative of the American College of Physicians. He is currently president of the American College of Physicians.
In addition, Joint Commission Resources (JCR) announced the appointment of LaMar S. McGinnis, M.D., FACS, as 2013 chair of its Board of Directors and Clarion E. Johnson, M.D., as vice chair. JCR is a not-for-profit affiliate of The Joint Commission.
Dr. McGinnis has served as an American College of Surgeons (ACS) appointed commissioner on The Joint Commission’s Board of Commissioners since 2005, and has also served as a Joint Commission Commissioner member on the JCR Board of Directors since 2009. Dr. McGinnis served as vice chair of the JCR Executive Committee in 2009 and vice chair of the Board in 2012. He is senior medical advisor and liaison at the American Cancer Society. Dr. Johnson, who has served on the JCR Board of Directors since 2009, is currently the global medical director of the Medicine and Occupational Health division for the Exxon Mobile Corporation, in Fairfax, Virginia.
“The new appointments of Doctors McGinnis and Johnson will provide a wealth of in-depth health care experience for Joint Commission Resources to draw on,” says Paula Wilson, president and CEO, Joint Commission Resources. “Their knowledge and judgment will serve as valuable assets in the year to come.”
JCR also announced the appointments of the following individuals as external members to the JCR Board of Directors:
- Kenneth D. Bloem, executive chairman of MedData, a Michigan-based revenue cycle management company which handles over 10 million annual patient encounters at 700 client sites. His public health and international experience includes assignments in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Caribbean. His career includes leadership positions at four major U.S. academic medical centers: CEO at Stanford University Hospital, CEO of Georgetown University Medical Center, EVP at University of Chicago Hospital and clinics, and AVP at Boston University Medical Center.
- John W. Bluford, M.B.A., FACHE, president and CEO of Truman Medical Centers, in Kansas City, Missouri. Bluford is a nationally known health care innovator who has been recognized by Modern Healthcare as one of the “Most Influential People in Healthcare.” In 2011, the American Hospital Association Board of Trustees elected Bluford as chairman of the board following several years of service on various committees within the association. Bluford is also a past chair of the National Association of Public Hospitals, past chairman of the Missouri Hospital Association, and past chair of the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce.